Monday, June 25, 2012

Milk / Yogurt / Cheese - RAW- Superfoods

Milk products are highly nutritious foods.  These nutritional benefits of dairy products are not easily replaced.   “Substitutes" such as soy products or calcium supplements are simply not the same.

Dairy is packed with protein, calcium, potassium, magnesium, conjugated linoleic acid (Omega family), and Vitamins B1, B2, B6, B12, A, D, and E.    About 80% of the proteins in milk are caseins (slow acting and easy to digest protein).   The remaining 20% are whey proteins (fast acting).   Therefore, it is a perfect blend to keep your body fueled. 
I prefer “raw” dairy.   “Raw” is yet another controversial topic.   In fact, "raw" dairy is not available or even legal in all states. 

Certain enzymes and healthy bacteria are only found in raw dairy.   What is “raw” dairy?    It is milk that is taken straight from animals.  Preferably fed only organic green grass.  The dairy is rapidly cooled and bottled.  There is no processing or heat treatment.  Just some filtration.  

Even lactose intolerant people are usually able to consume “raw” dairy.   This is because it still contains the enzymes and healthy bacteria that aid in digestion but are destroyed in the heat-treated commercial brands.

Big commercial groceries only sell dairy that is pasteurized and mostly homogenization.   This is to lengthen the shelf life.  Pasteurization is heating process designed to destroy all bacteria and enzyme activity.  Homogenization is a further process with high heat designed to break up the fat particles.  These are not bad practices and are necessary to ensure milk is always available to everyone but my first choices are always raw dairy.   I believe in the health benefits of raw /unprocessed foods.

Stay tuned………

No comments:

Post a Comment