Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Working Out While Traveling

"No Excuses"…….  A friend of mine has that printed on his T-shirts for his personal training business.    They are words to live by and traveling is not an excuse not to workout.   

I have traveled a lot in my career.   I find that hotels often advertise “a fitness center” that looks great on the web but in reality, it is a small room with a treadmill and maybe weights that go up to 40 lbs if you are lucky.  An uncomfortable setting to say the least.  

When preparing for a trip, I contact the hotel and ask if they have any arrangements with local gyms for access.  I am a loyal Marriott person and found that the majority of their properties have arrangements with a local gym.   For example, the Marriott Courtyard in Rock Hill, SC provides me with a pass into the Omni Health Club.   At the Marriott Springhill Suites in Indianapolis, I can get into LifeTime Fitness in Fishers (which is very close by).     

There are many locations that due to timing (meetings, business dinners, etc.) and due to accessibility, I have to rely on my backup plan for a good workout on the road.  Under these circumstances, I carry in my luggage a SPRI Xertube Ultra Heavy Resistance Band.   It has handles and a piece to place in a door jam.   A band allows you to use your muscles differently.   Muscle confusion is a great thing.  It keeps the body guessing and reacting.   The resistance can be increased by simply moving further away from where it is attached.   Example of exercises you can do in the room with a resistance band include:  Chest Presses, Bicep Curls, Tricep Extensions, Tricep Kickbacks, Shoulder Presses, Lateral Raises, Front Raises, Upright Rows, Rows, Flyes, Squats, etc.    

Resistance bands can be purchased at almost any sporting goods store.  Make sure you get a pair with handles and it is rated as heavy duty.  In addition, make sure it has an adequate piece to secure to a door as this makes all the difference to be able to do those moves listed above.  

No excuses……….  Workout on the road……..

Stay tuned………….
 

No comments:

Post a Comment