Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Warming Up Before Lifting

It is critical to warm up your muscles and get prepared to handle heavy weights.   It is impossible and potentially dangerous to immediately start lifting at a heavy weight on the first set/first rep.   You want to prevent injury and gets the blood flowing.    Unfortunately, warming up is not an exact science.   I recommend starting light and doing a few sets and work your way up to the normal heavy loads.    If you jump up too fast, you will injury yourself and more likely to fail sooner in the workout.  

Warming up gets you into the “groove” both mentally and physically.    Physically, this is the time to get the form down.  Make sure you have correct technique with light weights.    Loosen the muscles.    Mentally, you can work the nerve up to attack those personal best records.  

Here is an example of my bench press warm up:   Barbell only for a few reps (this prepares me for range of motion and the form).   Then I go to 95 lbs for 5 reps.  Then I go to 135 lbs for 5 reps.   Then 155 lbs for 5 reps.   Now I am warmed up and ready to tackle my heavy lifting.    You do not want to do too many “warm ups” or you will take away from the endurance needed for heavy lifting which is where we build muscle and burn fat.

Lift strong --  warming up is key to this…….

Stay tuned……….
  

No comments:

Post a Comment