Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Lunges

Lunges are my least favorite movement.   I would rather squat until I puke than do lunges.   J

Having said that, I find myself once again in the need to add them back into my routines.   I need hip work to help take me to the next level in my squats and deadlifts.    

Lunges are great for developing the thighs and strengthening the hips.    Besides working the quads, hamstrings and glutes, they also work the hip adductors and abductors (inner and outer thighs).    These are why I add them in.   The adductors and abductors are keys for hip stability and are critical to performance.    The lunge, if performed correctly, provides greater range of motion.  All of this converts into more development of the muscles critical to squats and deadlifts. 

Lunges have many variations:  forward lunges, reverse lunges, sideways lunges, power lunges, and my favorite – the walking lunge.   These are just a few of the many options.   You can do these with just bodyweight or carrying dumbbells, kettlebells or barbell.   

Lunge technique/form:  With a staggered stance (about shoulder width apart) and both feet straight forward, bend your knees and  lower your back knee to almost the floor and rise again.   Keep your body in upright position (do not lean).   The front knee should not be past your toes, if so, widen your stance.    

Add these to your routine and watch your squat and deadlift numbers go up !!!!   Warning – lunges will kick your butt.  J

 Stay tuned……..

No comments:

Post a Comment