Wednesday, November 14, 2012

German Volume Training

As we have discussed in this blog, we all need to take a break from our normal sets/rep routine and keep our bodies guessing.    The body needs to be challenged as it adapts very quickly and will plateau.    Once a quarter, I recommend you do a week that will SHOCK your body and kick your butt -- German Volume Training. 

(All of a sudden, this method seems to be popping up everywhere!  I have been doing it for more than a decade.  Do not think of it as a fad.   It is a solid supplemental routine will cause muscles to be sore that have not been in a while.)

The concept works like this:  Simply pick one exercise and do 10 sets of 10 reps with only 60-90 seconds of rest in between sets.   Pick heavier, compound-style lifts that tax major muscle groups.  Start with 50 - 60% of your one max rep. 

I am doing GVT this week for my workouts.    It has been a few years as I stayed away from it when doing competitive powerlifting.  WOW – is my body shocked (in a good way).   To give you an idea of what my lifts and weights are:   Bench Press – 135 lbs (225 for 3 is my max raw),  Deadlifts – 185 lbs  (350 is my one max raw)   Arnold Shoulder Presses (Seated) – Dumbbells 30 lbs each   (55 each is 3 rep max).   Other days this week, I will do rows and squats with same 10 x 10 routine.      Let me tell you – it kicks your butt.    Speaking of which, mine is SORE but in a good way (which makes me happy). 
 

Stay tuned………

No comments:

Post a Comment